Catholic Thought I (Fall)
Enrollment and Placement
To help ensure that students enroll in the correct course levels, Scholé Academy requires many students to complete placement evaluations. Placement evaluations are only provided to students after the corresponding course registration has been completed. A placement assessment will be required in the following situations:
- if the student falls outside of the stated age/grade range for the class.
- if the student needs to demonstrate a certain level of skill and proficiency for the course.
- if the student has completed prerequisite requirements somewhere other than Scholé Academy (e.g., at home or with another school). In this case, our instructors will need to verify that the student has adequately fulfilled the prerequisite requirements.
- if a placement assessment has been recommended by a Scholé Academy instructor.
First, read the available course descriptions, noting prerequisites, target grades, and course objectives. If you think your student is prepared for the course, go ahead and register. After registration, a placement assessment may be provided to students, depending on the course and the student’s previous enrollment with Scholé Academy. Parents are encouraged to connect with the Scholé Academy Principal and/or with the course instructor to make the best enrollment decision for their student.
Registration is not finalized until the student’s placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.
There is a $75 deposit built into the cost of each course.
- Withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted a full refund, including the full $75 deposit.
- On May 1 and before July 31 withdrawals are granted a full tuition refund less the $75 deposit.
- On August 1 and before the drop/add deadline, withdrawals are granted a ½ tuition refund
View our full assessment policies and enrollment and withdrawal policies in the Student-Parent Handbook.
This will be an exploratory experience reading and discussing Catholic documents covering engaging and relevant topics each semester. Find out what the
pontificates of Pope Paul VI, Pope John Paul II, Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis have had to say on topics affecting all of us from the not-too-distant past, today, and into the future. This is a Catholic course intended for The Aquinas House of Studies of Scholé Academy. These are semester courses, independent of each other; therefore, students may enroll in one or both semesters. Recommended as a Humanities or Theology elective, ½ credit per semester for high school.
An Exploration into Church Thought I
Quarter 1 Pope Paul VI – The Church in the Modern World
Quarter 2 Pope John Paul II – The Value of Human Life
Semester 1 Course Texts
Print the free online versions or purchase the hardcopy versions linked below.
- Gaudium Et Spes (Pastoral Constitution on The Church in The Modern World)
- Free: Gaudium et spes (vatican.va)
- Hardcopy: Past Const of Church In the Modern World Gaudium Et Spes | Pauline Books and Media (paulinestore.com)
- Evangelium Vitae (On the Gospel of Life)
- Free: Evangelium Vitae (25 March 1995) | John Paul II (vatican.va)
- Hardcopy: Gospel of Life Evangelium Vitae | Pauline Books and Media (paulinestore.com)
- Catechism of the Catholic Church 2nd ed., 2019 (blue cover)
- Free: Catechism of the Catholic Church (usccb.org)
- Hardcopy: Catechism Of The Catholic Church | Pauline Books and Media (paulinestore.com)
Kirsten Fortier holds a BA in Education from Saginaw Valley State University in Michigan. The bulk of her experience comes from 18+ years of classically homeschooling four sons K-12 who have now transitioned successfully through college, into careers, and enjoying life. She has taught in various settings including at home, in co-ops, in brick-and-mortar schools, and online. Most recently she enjoyed the role as the Director of Curriculum at a small classical Christian school. She now looks forward to a part-time career teaching restfully at Scholé Academy. Her passion for classical education is especially apparent when she is developing in others a love for the humanities and all that is good, true, and beautiful. In her free time, she enjoys visiting her children and grandchildren, hiking, camping, and researching family genealogy. She and her husband live in Michigan with their two dogs, one cat, a handful of chickens, and two hives of honeybees. firstname.lastname@example.org
High-Speed Internet Connection: You will also need access to high-speed Internet, preferably accessible via Ethernet cable right into your computer. Using Wi-Fi may work, but will not guarantee you the optimal use of your bandwidth. The faster your Internet, the better. We recommend using a connection with a download/upload speed of 5/1 Mbps or better. You can test your Internet connection here.
Headset: We recommend using a headset rather than a built-in microphone and speakers. Using a headset reduces the level of background noise heard by the entire class. Headset Recommendations: USB | 3.5mm
Zoom: We use a web conferencing software called Zoom for our classes, which enables students and teachers to gather from around the globe face to face in real time. Zoom is free to download and easy to use. To download Zoom:
- Visit zoom.us/download.
- Click to download the first option listed, Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open and run the installer on your computer.
- In August, students will be provided with instructions and a link for joining their particular class.
Explore our courses!
First, read the available course descriptions, noting prerequisites, target grades, and course objectives. If you think your student is prepared for the course, go ahead and register. After registration, a placement assessment may be provided to students, depending on the course and the student’s previous enrollment with Scholé Academy. Registration is finalized when the student’s placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.
Read the Student-Parent Handbook.
Please take careful note of our teaching philosophy, our technology requirements, our school policies, the parent agreement, and the distinctions between our grade levels.
Double-check the course section dates and times.
Make sure they don't conflict with other activities in your schedule or other courses you are purchasing. Our system will not catch double-bookings!
You're ready to add course selections to your cart!
Our Assistant to the Principal will be in touch with you after your enrollment to help you with next steps, including any placement evaluations that may be required for your course selections.
This registration will be finalized when the student's placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.