Fundamentals of Mathematics
Term: Yearlong 2020–21, September 8–May 28
Target Grade Levels: Grade 6–7
Schedule: 3x / week, 60–75 min.
Course Sections (choose one)
Section 1: M/T/Th 12:30 p.m. ET with Charity Jacobson
New Placement Process: Click to Read
- if the student falls outside of the stated age/grade range for the class.
- if the student needs to demonstrate a certain level of skill and proficiency for the course.
- if the student has completed prerequisite requirements somewhere other than Scholé Academy (e.g., at home or with another school). In this case, our instructors will need to verify that the student has adequately fulfilled the prerequisite requirements.
- if a placement assessment has been recommended by a Scholé Academy instructor.
- If a placement evaluation has not been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted a full refund, including the full $75 deposit.
- If a placement evaluation has been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted part of their $75 refund: $35 will be paid to the instructor for the placement evaluation, and the remaining $40 of the original deposit will be refunded.
This course is designed to help students bridge the gap between elementary mathematics concepts to more advanced mathematics. At the end of the year, students should be prepared to delve into pre-algebra and beyond! Throughout the year, not only will students master fundamental math, but they will be given the opportunity to apply their math skills to real-life scenarios as we discuss taxes, income, and insurance. At the end of the year, the goal is for the student to understand and be comfortable dealing with:
- Fractions and decimals
- Factoring problem-solving strategies
- Factorial ratio and proportion
- Application of percent
- Personal finances
- Metric system
- Basic geometric concepts
- Develop and use of formulas
- Reading and constructing graphs
- Introduction to statistics
- Introduction to algebra
- Negative numbers
- Powers and roots
- Time zones
- Latitude and longitude
- Introduction to plane and solid geometry
- Sine, cosine, and tangent
Placement: Please read about our new process above.
Syllabus: View the syllabus here
- Textbook: To be determined
- Sharp pencils with erasers
- Notebook paper
- 3-ring binder dedicated to this course
- Notebook dividers
- Drawing compass
- Graph paper
- Digital tablet: We recommend Intuos tablets. Similar products may be used.
Optional Course Texts: Solution Key (This key can be used by the parent(s) at their discretion
*Required texts not included with course purchase
Charity Jacobson is always ready for an adventure, whether it be a walk in the rain, taking a last-minute 2-day tour of Norway, or being taught by Ukrainian children to catch jellyfish without being stung. Her love for children influences much of her life as she enjoys teaching children from her community and often travels internationally to develop relationships with children who don’t have families of their own. At every encounter with children, Charity endeavors to see the world through the eyes of those children and to interact with them on a level that is easy for them to understand. Each child is uniquely gifted by God, and she enjoys nurturing them to be exactly who God has made them to be. She is currently pursuing an MA in biblical studies from the Master’s University. Teaching both adults and children is a pleasure for her. The greatest reward for her is when she sees her students master the material and turn around and teach it to someone else, or become so passionate about the subject that they begin to surpass her in knowledge. firstname.lastname@example.org
Computer: You will need a stable, reliable computer, running with a processor with a speed of 1 GHz or better on one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X with Mac OS 10.7 or later; Windows 8, 7, Vista (with SP1 or later), or XP (with SP3 or later). We do not recommend using an iPad or other tablet for joining classes. An inexpensive laptop or netbook would be much better solutions, as they enable you to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your computer. Please note that Chromebooks are allowed but not preferred, as they do not support certain features of the Zoom video conference software such as breakout sessions and annotation, which may be used by our teachers for class activities.
High-Speed Internet Connection: You will also need access to high-speed Internet, preferably accessible via Ethernet cable right into your computer. Using Wi-Fi may work, but will not guarantee you the optimal use of your bandwidth. The faster your Internet, the better. We recommend using a connection with a download/upload speed of 5/1 Mbps or better. You can test your Internet connection here.
Headset: We recommend using a headset rather than a built-in microphone and speakers. Using a headset reduces the level of background noise heard by the entire class. Headset Recommendations: USB | 3.5mm
Zoom: We use a web conferencing software called Zoom for our classes, which enables students and teachers to gather from around the globe face to face in real time. Zoom is free to download and easy to use. To download Zoom:
- Visit zoom.us/download.
- Click to download the first option listed, Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open and run the installer on your computer.
- In August, students will be provided with instructions and a link for joining their particular class.
Explore our courses!
First, read the available course descriptions, noting prerequisites, target grades, and course objectives. If you think your student is prepared for the course, go ahead and register. After registration, a placement assessment may be provided to students, depending on the course and the student’s previous enrollment with Scholé Academy. Registration is finalized when the student’s placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.
Read the Student-Parent Handbook.
Please take careful note of our teaching philosophy, our technology requirements, our school policies, the parent agreement, and the distinctions between our grade levels.
Double-check the course section dates and times.
Make sure they don't conflict with other activities in your schedule or other courses you are purchasing. Our system will not catch double-bookings!
You're ready to add course selections to your cart!
Our Assistant to the Principal will be in touch with you after your enrollment to help you with next steps, including any placement evaluations that may be required for your course selections.
This registration will be finalized when the student's placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.