Middle-School Spanish for Children B
Term: Yearlong 2021–21, September 8–May 28
Target Grade Levels: Grades 6-8; 9th graders welcome (see placement details below)
Schedule: 2x / week, 60–75 min.
Course Sections (choose one)
Section 1: T/Th 9:30 a.m. ET with Sarah Foose
Ongoing Enrollment and Placement
- if the student falls outside of the stated age/grade range for the class.
- if the student needs to demonstrate a certain level of skill and proficiency for the course.
- if the student has completed prerequisite requirements somewhere other than Scholé Academy (e.g., at home or with another school). In this case, our instructors will need to verify that the student has adequately fulfilled the prerequisite requirements.
- if a placement assessment has been recommended by a Scholé Academy instructor.
- If a placement evaluation has not been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted a full refund, including the full $75 deposit.
- If a placement evaluation has been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted part of their $75 refund: $35 will be paid to the instructor for the placement evaluation, and the remaining $40 of the original deposit will be refunded.
This Spanish course is designed for middle school students who are ready to continue their study of Spanish grammar, reading, and conversation. Throughout the course of Spanish for Children B, students learn over 250 NEW commonly used Spanish vocabulary words, building on their foundation from Spanish for Children A. They also study engaging conversational text including original poems, rhymes, riddles, treasure hunts and stories, as well as intermediate grammatical concepts such as more complex verb conjugation, tenses, and gender-number agreement, enabling them to construct Spanish sentences properly. The Spanish for Children curriculum teaches middle school students this dynamic language using the pedagogy and structure of the popular Latin for Children series combined with immersion-style dialogues and vocabulary. This course emphasizes grammar and the parts of speech as vital tools for the correct speaking and understanding of Spanish. For a closer look at the text used in this course, please follow this link and click “Look Inside”: Spanish for Children B
The Spanish for Children curriculum is content-rich in both its breadth and its depth. In order to foster understanding of subject matter and guide students to mastery at a fitting pace, we offer Spanish for Children B in one year for middle school students (while upper elementary classes split the book in two courses). In Middle School Spanish for Children B Señora Foose guides students through the entire text of Spanish for Children B.
Schedule: The course meets 2 times per week for 60-75 minutes, affording adequate instructional time as well as time for more advanced conversational and writing practice and listening exercises.
Syllabus: View course syllabus here.
Placement: Please read about our new process above.
- Students who have completed Spanish for Children Primer A to the end are ideally prepared for this course. Students who have a foundation in Spanish but have not used the Spanish for Children series before are welcome to join this course. It is recommended that these students obtain the Spanish for Children A text and work through the chapter quizzes in pencil to ensure they are comfortable with the grammar and vocabulary. Students may also work through the unit 7 review lessons to measure their confidence with the skills necessary for proceeding with Spanish for Children B.
- When considering whether this course is a good fit for your student, please keep in mind that in addition to readiness for the course content, students should be developmentally prepared to engage in a 6th- to 8th-grade corporate learning environment. If your student is outside the target grade range for this class, or if you have further questions about placement, please contact us.
Please note: MP3 versions of the Spanish for Children B chants will be provided to the students enrolled in this course at no charge.
- Spanish for Children Primer B Answer Key
The answer key features actual, full-size pages from the Spanish for Children Bprimer, with answers to quizzes, exercises, and worksheets in bold print. The answer keys are optional for this online class.
*Required materials are not included in the purchase of the course.
Sarah Foose is looking forward to her fifth year of teaching online with Scholé Academy! This year she is teaching Writing & Rhetoric 2, a variety of Middle School and Upper School Spanish courses, and the newest course in the Well-Ordered Language series (Level 4). She has been working in the field of language and intercultural communication (including immigrant advocacy and public health) for the last fifteen years. She spent four of those years teaching in a local classical Christian K-12 school.
Sarah is passionate about her subjects—she loves finding the right Spanish verb or using parts of speech to unlock the more abstract mysteries of language that allow us to connect with other people on a deeper level. Her goal is to bring her students to a place of confidence, skill, and joy in communicating. Yes, even you can learn to be a Spanish speaker or English wordsmith!
When not teaching, Mrs. Foose can be found running outdoors in central Pennsylvania, cooking with her two young daughters who pretend to be ninjas and circus performers, reading CS Lewis and Roald Dahl aloud with her family, fishing with her husband Jeremy, and learning new languages. firstname.lastname@example.org
Computer: You will need a stable, reliable computer, running with a processor with a speed of 1 GHz or better on one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X with Mac OS 10.7 or later; Windows 8, 7, Vista (with SP1 or later), or XP (with SP3 or later). We do not recommend using an iPad or other tablet for joining classes. An inexpensive laptop or netbook would be much better solutions, as they enable you to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your computer. Please note that Chromebooks are allowed but not preferred, as they do not support certain features of the Zoom video conference software such as breakout sessions and annotation, which may be used by our teachers for class activities.
High-Speed Internet Connection: You will also need access to high-speed Internet, preferably accessible via Ethernet cable right into your computer. Using Wi-Fi may work, but will not guarantee you the optimal use of your bandwidth. The faster your Internet, the better. We recommend using a connection with a download/upload speed of 5/1 Mbps or better. You can test your Internet connection here.
Headset: We recommend using a headset rather than a built-in microphone and speakers. Using a headset reduces the level of background noise heard by the entire class. Headset Recommendations: USB | 3.5mm
Zoom: We use a web conferencing software called Zoom for our classes, which enables students and teachers to gather from around the globe face to face in real time. Zoom is free to download and easy to use. To download Zoom:
- Visit zoom.us/download.
- Click to download the first option listed, Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open and run the installer on your computer.
- In August, students will be provided with instructions and a link for joining their particular class.
Explore our courses!
First, read the available course descriptions, noting prerequisites, target grades, and course objectives. If you think your student is prepared for the course, go ahead and register. After registration, a placement assessment may be provided to students, depending on the course and the student’s previous enrollment with Scholé Academy. Registration is finalized when the student’s placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.
Read the Student-Parent Handbook.
Please take careful note of our teaching philosophy, our technology requirements, our school policies, the parent agreement, and the distinctions between our grade levels.
Double-check the course section dates and times.
Make sure they don't conflict with other activities in your schedule or other courses you are purchasing. Our system will not catch double-bookings!
You're ready to add course selections to your cart!
Our Assistant to the Principal will be in touch with you after your enrollment to help you with next steps, including any placement evaluations that may be required for your course selections.
This registration will be finalized when the student's placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.